Or call our technical support: +31852080825

Available Monday through Friday from 7AM to 3:30PM CET
Please create a ticket before calling and keep the ticket number at hand.
At the moment we are only offering support in English, so we kindly ask you to address your issue in English.
Start a new topic

ABS with PVA supports

Hi

Can someone tell me what settings to use to print ABS with PVA supports? I find ABS does not stick on PVA.

Thanks

1 person has this problem

I have the same problems. I have tried many different temperature and speeds, but with ABS I have not found a solution. Now I'm starting to test PLA and PVA, hoping better results.

By to all 

Hi All,

I have recently (3 weeks ago) received my Creatr HS which of course I purchased to specifically take advantage of using both extruders, one will PVA.

Has anyone had any good experience so far.

Once the printer is setup correctly bed / extruder calibration is it a matter of setting one extruder (say the left for PLA) and then the other the right for PVA and setting this to generate supports?

I would be very interested to hear and talk with anyone who has done and is doing this successfully.

Kind regards.

David

I also bought the HS because of dual extruders so you can use PVA or similar for soluble support structures. I am doing experiments with PVA but it is a real pain.. the biggest problem is simpicity3D does not have a nozzle primer function when switching between extruders. there is a extra advance filament when changing but you cannot differentiate both nozzles so since both materials are different , one will either print too much or not enough to start. Also PVA extrudes very difficult, the extruder motor can almost not push hard enough. I am waiting for 0.5mm nozzles, I hope it will go better. 0.35 are a bit small I think. Also PVA is quite soft, so when you extrude too hard it will crinkle up and come out the side of the drive wheel of the extruder motor and jam up. I made my soft filament adapter, it already goes much better, it solves that problem. Finding the right settings is also very tricky... 

HI Marc,

Nice to read your post on PVA which I have just started to experiment again with last night. It was also one of the big reasons I bought the Creatr HS dual extruder.

Though I did not have much success either and wondered if you have managed to make it work yet?

I have heard of the 'Soft Filament Adaptor' but not really looked closely at it or how it really works. How have you found it to perform? it sounds like it must give some benefit.

One thing I did remember when I last, and it was only one time, was that I had problems getting the PVA sticking to the heated bed (@ 45deg) so I tried a little experiment by increasing the Extrusion Multiplier from the default 0.95 to 1.25 as a thought to increase the flow and force the filament to stick to the bed better... 

Downside after that test was that I could see I needed to increase the retraction further as it was suffering from a moderate amount of oozing...

So if you (or anyone has) have any news I'd be grateful to hear / talk more about it...

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

David

Hi David

I didnt try the PVA too much ( i sort of gave up) but here is some news: the first roll of PVA I had ( a clear one) must have been humid, I received it unpacked ( no sealed plastic bag) and it was lying around a few months.. I never got it to work so I got rid of it. Now I have a new roll it is mat white. this works much better already. ( I got both from Lpfrg)  It still does not stick very good to the base but somehow it can work. 

I havent tried ABS much either, PLA is better than I expected and prints quite good, especially the colorfabb stuff is great.

the soft filament adapter is must for any filament other than PLA or ABS. Works perfect, never have a jammed up drivegear again. I print any filament with this, ninjaflex, brassfill etc.

I have been printing 2 color PLA though, I have a few OK settings now but oozing is still a problem. 

strangely even when using 2 rolls from the same manufacturer the optimal settings are a bit different +-5-10°C.. 

mk

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the prompt reply, very much appreciated.

Interesting to read your comments about PVA and I'm starting to think that maybe my roll of PVA (which has been sitting around, unsealed) has absorbed too much moisture and is directly affecting it's now usability...? sounds quite probable.

Good to know about the new PVA from Leapfrog..... I'll have to give it some thought and see if I decide to buy some and think if I can find a definite project / use for it.

Though I've just ordered 9 rolls of PLA to stock up..(I'm putting my printer onto 3D Hubs as soon as I receive and do a quick trial / calibration test for each) I may wait and see how this venture goes first before I go buying more material as much as I'd like. The catch is you need some to test and perfect your prints generally speaking.

I would be interested to hear how you get on in time using PVA (this news one from Leapfrog) and see if you manage to improve the process.... 

Have you considered contacting the actual material suppliers to get input from them, they sure must have some idea about the optimal settings for using their product...? the thought just occurred to me as I was writing.

I still have 4 rolls of ABS (and a roll of Nylon, interesting to print with) which worked quite well but (depending of part topology, print orientation etc I have had generally good but like most I am sure mixed results.

Sorry I digress here slightly but with the ABS do you find it important to keep this in sealed, air tight containers? Do you find if you do not that you see that your prints quality noticeably suffers or has it not been so clear cut given that you might not have done as much printing with ABS than PLA?

How do you find the performance, quality and usability of Colorfabb filament compared to the Leapfrog?  Did you notice or see that you had to change the settings much to work? I also noted that it is about 5-10% cheaper also.

Thanks for the feedback, certainly appreciate hearing what others are doing / going thru with their Creatr HS to see what works and what does not.

Have a great day.

Kind regards,

David

hi

for one yes always put your rolls in a seal bag with some dehumidifier bags. ( rice could maybe also do the trick) i didnt really notice a difference but i cant guarantee my problems didnt come from humidity. Dry is better.

so far I must say all colorfabb filaments worked just great. carbonfiberXT, bronzefill, brassfill, bamboofill the regular PLA and the copolyester all great. but I am wondering if the leapfrog are not from colorfabb. (same carton, about same quality, also from NL..) 

I also tried the nylon, works quite good.  layer bonding is not super, but maybe the bridge is better, it should stick better. 

however i am recking nozzles just like that.. all these special filaments are really hard on the nozzle. the carbon fibre totally destroyed a nozzle in a few hours. i need something better than brass..

mk

Login or Signup to post a comment