Or call our technical support: +31852080825

Available Monday through Friday from 7AM to 3:30PM CET
Please create a ticket before calling and keep the ticket number at hand.
At the moment we are only offering support in English, so we kindly ask you to address your issue in English.
Start a new topic

Crapy corners

Hi, 

Just got my Creatr HS and I'm sad to say that i'm not happy with the print quality so far. 

It seems no matter what I do, the corers of print comes out crappy, the printer seems to extrude of filament when it is doing the corners. 

This part is printed in Maxx PLA, with the setting recommended by Lpfrg them self:

The prints is made in 0.2 mm layer thickness, with support according to the pre-set settings.  The support is not easy to remove. 

Any one have any ideas on how to resolve this? 

I can compare this with our old Printrbot that we build our self 3 years ago, this printer produces way better prints than the HS :-(. 

So far not happy..........

JPG
(1.3 MB)
JPG
(1.5 MB)
JPG
(1.49 MB)

Hi David!

When you have backlash on either X and/or Y axes, the extrusion tends to group in pair of lines, so that 2 lines are closer, then a gap, and another 2 lines, a.s.o. This is visible on top and bottom layers (or any other 100% infilled layer). And so was in your pictures :)

All The Best,

Daniel

Hi Daniel, Many thanks for note the issue. I did note that while it was good it was not perfect I was not sure t might be. Upon checking the X axis belt found it was much looser than the Y and Z axis. So after investigating I improved the belt tightness and am much happier with the performance. I also believe that the loose belt was contributing too excessive noise due to backlash. When you say that my print exhibited signs that my printer was suffering from backlash related issues; what specifically were you looking at? I did see one side (not sure if it was top or bottom) was not as good as the other as I could a small patch that was not printed as cleanly or evenly as the area around it. I would be grateful to hear your thoughts if you have time. Many thanks and have a great day. David

Hi David!

Are you aware that your top/bottom infill exhibits an artifact (extrusion lines groups of two) that indicates a backlash on X/Y axis/es? It might be due to the short driving belts being loose.

All The Best,

Daniel

Hi Jen,

Just thought I'd upload 2 photos for a simple test / calibration block to check how my printer is performing especially for quality and accuracy.

You can see by the corners that they come up nice and sharp.

I originally used the Leapfrog .fff files as a basis for printing then tweaked them as needed.

One thing I do remember is that I think the default print speed is far too high, the print speed for these test blocks is about 2000M/min.

I've tried printing at the HS default high speeds and unless the part is very basic in shape you tend to sacrifice quality for speed hence my speed is much lower but the speed and corner are really good..

Hope this proves of interest to you or anyone else having the same problem.

Regards,

David

jpg
(1010 KB)
jpg
(1.23 MB)

Hi Jens,

Sorry to see that you were having a frustrating start to using your HS.. I had a lot of problems at the start and in the end Leapfrog replaced my machine.

Since this post is quite old I wondered if you resolved you problem....? I would be interested to know. 

As Robert said they pretty bad and I had some challenges at the start 'tweaking / tuning' my process settings to suit the particular print I was doing but got there in the end.

If you are still having problems with a particular print maybe I could try a comparison test on my HS and see what I results I can reproduce....

Let me know if this is interest and let's see what we can do..... and if I don't hear back from you then happy printing and I hope it is all going well.

Regards,

David

The whole part looks bad, not just the corners.

I don't have an HS but sure it can do better.

The extrusion width appears irregular and there are a lot of gaps which might have to do with the retraction settings or something else.

Even though you are using the official HS settings, you probably need to go through some calibration steps. Different filament can make a huge difference and you can't be sure that Maxx was even used to develop the settings. (They might have come from Simplify 3D.)

The first thing I would do is take a magic marker and put two marks on your filament 100mm apart. Then manually extrude 100mm to make sure that 100mm is actually being extruded. If not, the filament may be slipping in the extruder. (I don't know how to adjust that on the HS.)

Then I would start by printing a simple calibration cube Then you can start adjusting the temperature, flow rates, and retraction to get the best results.

That sucks... You should probably lower your extruder temperature if it is oozing on the corners. I like 190 - 200 anything above that is usually too hot for PLA. Are you using PVA support structure or use same material support? Have you tried changing the resolution of the support pillars. If your temperature is in that range I suggested then you might try increasing your retraction.

-Brandon

Login or Signup to post a comment