Or call our technical support: +31852080825

Available Monday through Friday from 7AM to 3:30PM CET
Please create a ticket before calling and keep the ticket number at hand.
At the moment we are only offering support in English, so we kindly ask you to address your issue in English.
Start a new topic

strange pattern and wide horizontal bumps

Greetings!

I bought my leapfrog roughly a year ago and had been content with it until recently. Horizontal ribs (4-5mm wide, fraction of a mm high, almost like waves) started appearing on the prints, many times ruining the results if I couldn't grind or sand them away.
The example below was generated in Cura with the following settings:

M201 X1000 Y1000 Z50 E250
M204 S2000.00 T2000.00
M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X15.00 Z0.40 E15.00

-Everything else is factory default, if my memory serves me well. Has anybody experienced anything like this? Read through quite a few forum topics all over the net but couldn't find a proper solution.

Thanks in advance!

jpg
(56 KB)
jpg
(75.3 KB)

The pattern that you are seeing I think is an XY resonance, run the appropriate file below. As to the cause you could have changed the platform the printer is sitting on, an x or y motor is not running as smoothly at the speed you are running. There are also inputs in some hosts to specify a resonance for your machine and compensate for it when generating the g code. It is not something I have played with in depth but it might be useful for you.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:533472/#files

1 person likes this
Thanks! The latter seems promising.

I usually dont go below 0.9 on the multiplier, a small change matters. 

Other things you can try: 

-Different manufacturer of filament (make sure its the diameter) 

I once had a filament that was hollow and didnt notice and this made blotchy prints. 

Bad quality filaments can vary in diameter as well.

-Changing the Steps per E of the extruder. 

This is basically adjusting how much the extruder turns. 

http://creatrtips.freeforums.org/post373.html#p373

Thanks, already tried that. :( Just made the pattern even more visible and the part fragile.

Try reducing the extrusion multiplier because, on the corners, there is a noticeable over-extrusion. As well, if you're printing with PLA, make sure your fan is working.

Hmm I remember there being a setting called spiralize which continues the same extrusion width straight up but is only used for hollow objects. 

I tried that yesterday. The vertical rib (as the layer changes) disappeared, but the main problem remained the same. Out of curiosity, I printed a pipe and these horizontal ribs formed a perfect spiral... Flat, barely noticable when lit perpendicularly to the surface, but as the light source becomes close to tangential, it appears immediately. 

Try using randomized starting points, if your slicer has that option. 

This is just a pattern caused by the extruder. 

Login or Signup to post a comment