Or call our technical support: +31852080825

Available Monday through Friday from 7AM to 3:30PM CET
Please create a ticket before calling and keep the ticket number at hand.
At the moment we are only offering support in English, so we kindly ask you to address your issue in English.
Start a new topic

ABS temperature

Hello guys, I hope I can get some tips about the following: I have ABS "natural" that I am trying to print. According to the documentation it should work on 215 degrees. At the temperature I can not even manually extrude. That seams weird. Anyone the same problem? So when I rais the temp to like 245 degrees, I can manually extrude. But even then it blocks when I pause for a minute and try to extrude some more. Any help would be appreciated. Best regards, Rene

The temperature to suite both the printer and the filament has to be found by experimenting. Watch the video may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSOPsRiiOZk

Thank you for your answer, the video is interesting but does not solve my problem. To clarify, my problem is that the ABS stops flowing. After that I have to remove it and insert it again to get it working. It seams that the extruder gets blocked internally all the time. I do not understand why. As long as I keep the extrusion running, all is fine. But when I stop for a minute I cannot start it again.

Check the extruder cooling fans. (I had to replace mine twice on my Dual.)
They collect dust, start slowing down, and eventually stop running.
The purpose of the fans is to prevent the filament from starting to melt before it is pushed into the hot end at the bottom. So what happens when the filament isn't moving and the extruder is still hot, heat from the hot end raises, partially melts the filament, and causes a jam.
Thank you for this idea. The cooling fans are running fine but I cannot tell if they go fast enough. I like you idea about the ABS melting before it reaches the hot end. I have experimented with lower extrusion temperatures, to see if I can lower the heat. That did not help. It jams faster even. I now tried 210 degrees up to 250 degrees with steps of 5 degree. That cost lot of time, because I have to remove the ABS every time and reinsert it to get it working. All setting jam after while. Can it be that when extrusion is paused, the ABS sticks a bit the extruder, and force is needed to get it going again?

How long have you had the printer?

I had to replace my fans at about 6 months. However at that point the fans were having a hard time starting. I was having similar issues as you.

I don't know if they are still using the same brand of fans.

When there is a jam, what does the end of the filament look like when you remove it? Does it have a "lump" at the end?

Maybe 2 years now. But it was only used a few times at first. It proved more difficult then expected. After that it just was standing there unused. Only recently I have started to play arround with it again.

I have seen the lump at the end sometimes. What causes that?

test

The likely cause of the lump in the filament is insufficient cooling air from the fans.

At least that's my opinion. I asked about the lump because it was a symptom in my case also. I didn't realize what was going on until the fans wouldn't even start on their own.

If true, you may be able to revive them temporarily by lifting the label on the back and adding a small drop of light machine oil.

After some extra tests I have found the lump in the filament only happens when the temperature is very high (250 degrees or so).

The 215 degrees does not give the lump. So I am not sure if the fans are the problem.

However, they seem to increase in RPM in the first minute or so. So maybe that is still an indications that it is not good enough.

After some more study on the internet I read about a teflon tube in the extruder. Mine does not have that. I suppose I have one of the first models. The aluminium parts seem made by hand. Do you have a teflon tube in your extruder?

My conclusion so far:

- The extruder works fine when I first insert the filament and keep it flowing.

- It jams when I pause the extrusion.

- I see no lumps at 215 degrees, the only other explanation is that it sticks to the inside of the extruder

Two options to solve it:

- better fans

- teflon tube

Any comments?

I have had the hot ends jam also. In my case, the exrtruder would quit in the middle of a print. Perhaps you have not printed a large enough part for that to be a problem. The first time this happened I replaced the hot end (purchased from Leapfrog) which fixed the problem.

Lately I take them apart and clean them when that happens. Sometimes I can push a small metal rod through them while they are heated.

Mine do have a Teflon tube, but it's actually just a short bushing near the top (just under a threaded locking ring).

Unfortunately you can't purchased just the metal tube for the hot end. You have to buy the complete assembly which includes the heating element and thermistor.

Hi,

I also had this problem. You could try to ajust the space between grinded infeed wheel en the bearing. In the manual the given distance is 1,5mm. I ajusted the distance to 1,1mm and the it gave a better result during printing.

How is the extruder temp.curve during the proces? Is the fluctuation more then 15degrees C?

Hello Ed,

I did some more testing with a friend. We tried to adjust the space between the grinded infeed wheel and the bearing. Not sure if we got the distance at 1.1mm, but anyways, whatever we did, nothing changed in the problem.

The temperature fluctuations I will have to meassure. I remember there is a significant fluctuation, but I cannot say how much.

My friend and I concluded that the fillemant sticks at the inside of the metal tube.

We noticed that every time we started with a fresh insert and started extruding right away, the fillament would extrude very nicely.

Only when we pause the extrution for maybe 1 minute and then continue, it fails.

Whatever we do, change temperature, change distances, clean the tube, everytime it jams after a pause. This is very consistant.

So my conclusion is that I have a design problem. What else can it be?

Also we noticed that the metal tube is not that hot on the top end. So I do not believe that the fan is the problem. It is cooling ok. Also, the fan only cools to top anyway, the rest is too far down, and there the jam takes place in my opinion.

Any ideas are welcome. Currently we believe we have a bad product, so we need to replace it. I want to open a support ticket to see what LeapFrog can do for me, since I believe the product just does not work. It never has, We tried all things in the manual concerning this problem now. So, what can it be else?

Hallo Rene,

Ik zie aan je naam dat je Nederlander bent dus ik ga nu ook even verder in het Nederlands. Ik heb dezelfde problemen als wat jij hebt alleen niet in die extreme mate. Ik gebruik Simplify 3D en met ABS stel ik de temp. in op 240 graden. Als ik dan handmatig extrusion doe dan kan ik duidelijk zien dat, als de temperatuur lager word, er rimpels in de uitstroom van filament ontstaat en als dan de temperatuur weer hoger word dat dan de uitstroom weer gewoon goed eruit ziet. Bij mij is de temp. variatie ook vaak rond de 20 graden. Ik heb hier ook al eens een filmpje van gemaakt en in een ticket door gegeven hier op de support.

V.w.b. de afstand tussen de 2 infeed rollen heb ik een papier gepakt en die er tussen gedaan. Als die voelbaar er tussenuit kan schuifen is het goed en is de maat +/- 1,1 mm

Ook is het zo dat als de nozzle gemonteerd is dat er geen ruimte meer tussen de nozzle en het blokje mag zitten. Dit staat ook beschreven in de manual. Wanneer je de nozzle vast draaid en er zit nog ruimte tussen de nozzle en het blok dan is het niet goed.

Je zou e.v.t. ook nog kunnen overwegen om een nozzle aan te schaffen met een grotere diameter (0,5) dit geeft ook minder problemen maar dan moet je ook een aantal parameters in je slice programma aan passen. In Simplify 3D gaan een aantal automatisch mee as je de diameter aan past in de slicer.

Login or Signup to post a comment